Friday, June 6, 2008

Near Death Experiences

How many times has the adrenaline peaked, the synapses fired at an accelerated rate and you could actually hear your heart beat? If you've escaped this sensation so far, good for you. Although I assure you, one day you most certainly will know what I mean. The best you can do is hope the first time is not your last.

I've had more than my share of these experiences. They never last more than a few seconds but they can take years off of your life, given you even survive. When I was a teen, I fell off a waterfall. My cousins Sean and James fished me out of the drink. Then there were the five or so serious car wrecks I've been in. The most serious of which occurred in Jamaica. I still can't believe Nasan and myself even walked away from that one. Not to mention the time I woke up jailed in Bangkok at no fault of my own (wrong place at wrong time). I was sick for about a month after that ordeal. I just recently came clean and told my mother about that one. She's always wondered aloud how have I managed to live this long.

I haven't shied away from placing myself in some unhealthy situations but what I'm deathly afraid of is going to the doctor. Many guys my age(30+) are. I can understand why. Every little bump, cough or sharp pain can be something potentially serious. I just made an appointment for Tuesday and I'm Pooping bricks. I'm sure I'll be ok but you never know...

No comments: