Thursday, December 27, 2007

R.I.P. Benazir Bhutto


I'm having a great a Christmas break in Georgia with family but I'm saddened tonight by the sudden death of Former Pakistani Prime Minister, Benazir Bhutto. I had been following the recent developments in Pakistan over the past several months an had grown fond of Ms. Bhutto, not because of any political ideology but simply because of her unwavering courage. Even before ending her self-imposed exile, she had received threats on her life. Nevertheless, she unflinchingly returned to Pakistan to foment change.
Lets not forget, there was an assassination attempt practically as she stepped of the plane in Karachi. She would later write to a friend that she had been getting death threats from high in the government and that if she were to die, part of the responsibility would have to go to President Musharraf. Musharraf refused to provide more security after the blast in Karachi.
Even more saddening were the responses of our "politicians". Even before any initial investigations, even before the body got cold, they (Clinton, Giuliani, Romney) were using Bhutto's death for political gain. Mitt Romney blamed Islamic Jihadist...Ok Mitt. that's pretty broad. Let's be more specific. How about the Pakistani government who just so happens to be our ally in "the war on terror", which is another sweeping term. Well I guess we'll see what happens in the next coming weeks and months.
I guess to me, in comparing Benazir Bhutto with what we have in America right now; I've come away with the conclusion that it takes courage and sacrifice to achieve democracy but prevarication to achieve in it...guess that's the nature of politics.

1 comment:

Sassy said...

She is my hero!!!