Friday, June 5, 2009

The So Called Apology Tour

When I was 12, me and my cousin Nikkitta were throwing rocks and accidentally broke a neighbor’s window. We denied it vehemently when he came to my grandparent’s house to accuse us. My Grandfather, who was a Pentecostal preacher at the time, wanted to do the right thing. He was always the peacemaker. He made me come with him to the neighbor’s house as he apologized for me. I was never as angry at him as I was at that moment…

I have tried to steer clear of the cable news as of late but it can be really entertaining. The art of serious journalism is at a premium. The blogosphere (me included) is all biased commentary or political satire, so don’t come here looking for objective reporting! That being said, I’ve found myself confused by the criticism the president has been getting from a certain demographic concerning his trips overseas. Some say he is apologizing too much. They say it weakens America…They are really angry at Obama!!!...OK, whatever.
Many of us don’t see it that way, and I think I know why…It is because he is not apologizing for me and the others who feel as I do. He is not apologizing for us folk who have not wielded power over the last few centuries. The ones who are squawking are those who have had the power and have been guilty of the acts that President Obama is referring to. I cannot condemn them though, it is human nature and in their shoes, it is impossible for me to determine with any certainty that I would not react in a similar manner. The one thing I do know is that the truth hurts when administered in public but sometimes it is necessary to make the peace.
-L

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Excellent post. Val