Friday, July 11, 2008

Fashion Forward: Orlando Carreras

About 3 years ago I was freelance designing at Fila’s now defunct New York office. My buddy Craig called me and asked me to come and freelance for him at Sears/Kmart. The Pay was better and the opportunity to work with old friends and colleagues was just too appealing. Upon my arrival, I met Orlando Carreras the no nonsense but never micromanaging director of menswear. Orlando was a joy to work for because of his impeccable style and also because of his thorough understanding of the market. Never have I worked for someone that had better comprehension of current trends. Also, he decided to hire me fulltime, helping me transition from CAD design to knitwear design. For that, I will always be grateful.
In retrospect it seems almost too obvious that eventually he would have to move on to establish his own brand. And so he did… Orlando launched the Orlando Carreras brand last year and has since been creating a buzz (DNR June 16th issue). The brand offers a fresh take on classics such as classic woven silhouettes with prints that are youthful in spirit without being juvenile. He's finds inspiration in everything from contemporary art to a song by Stevie Wonder. True to his explorative and conscious character, he is experimenting with organic fabrics and only uses natural trims. If you're looking for the future of Men’s fashion, Orlando Carreras is the prototype.

for more info:
http://www.orlandocarreras.com/

No comments: