Friday, January 23, 2009

I wish i was there...



Right now, at this very moment, I wish I was on the beach! And I bet now you do too. Not just any beach however. I wish I was in Santa Teresa, Costa Rica.

Santa Teresa is located on Costa Rica’s northern Pacific coast on the edge of the tropical jungles. It’s kind of remote and there are no paved roads but a cheap rented SUV will suffice or there are shuttles that regularly leave the Puntarenas ferry dock. http://www.nicoyapeninsula.com/general/boat.html

I traveled there a couple of winters ago and fell in love with the most beautifully, natural place I had ever been. The Santa Teresa Surf camp is made up of a number of beach front cabanas, all with their own kitchenette and shower. The hammock on your front porch is perfect for just kicking back in the early evening and just soaking it all in
The surfers, who made the journey, would wake up at 5am to surf as the sun rose. Most would then sleep until late in the afternoon, waking up in time to surf at dusk, which was the next high tide. After the last session of the day, everyone would eat and drink through the early evening and then turn in early to repeat the cycle. I was impressed at the spiritual nature of the true surfer lifestyle and how at peace they were with nature and themselves.