Friday, January 4, 2008

I awoke this morning to hear news that Barack Obama had emerged victoriously from the Iowa caucuses. I smiled upon hearing the news and for the first moment in my life I felt an excitement about politics that I can't quite explicate. I'm not naive enough to think that the presidential race is over and Obama has this "in the bag"...But this moment felt really good on so many levels. I imagined how my grandmother, who participated in the march on Washington in 1963, felt watching a black man win a primary election in a practically all white state. During her lifetime, she had not always had the right to vote and now in the 93rd year of her life she was listening to Barack Obama deliver one of the most impressive political victory speeches in recent times. 
It feels good because Obama, for me, represents the dream. He represents a departure from elitist rule and a realization of what America is supposed to mean.
He may not even win. Hillary Clinton may end up wiping the floor with him or maybe she won't.
In any case, last night (and this morning) feels good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had that same smile :-) Happy New Year from me and Frank Lucas!!! :-)

valjoyner said...

Yo...me tooooo!!!

Anonymous said...

my fingers are crossed for south carolina. we'll see. i may even convince myself to help with his ny campaign.